Stórurð The Magic Hike
Stórurð (The Giant Boulders) is one of the unique and magnificent creations of nature in East Iceland. This place lies below the stunning Dyrfjöll Mountains. The boulder area was most likely created by a landslide at the end of the latest cold era of the Ice Age. The boulders were carried by a glacier snout to the present location. It consists of gigantic tuff boulders, charming meadows, and attractive ponds. A truly stunning scenery. We walk a marked path all the way up to a landscape that is hard to describe with words you just have to come and see it for yourself. The Hike is about 14 km with elevation from 400 to 700 meters depends on which way we choose in and out from Stórurð. We always start and end at Álfheimar Country Hotel.
- Deep blue and green ponds between the massive boulders
- Lush grassy hollows and distinct vegetation
- Excellent view and a truly stunning scenery
- Stórurð is definitely one of Iceland‘s best-hidden gems.
Dates & prices
June 20 – September 15
Duration: 7 hours
Price per person:
Price: ISK 17.500
- Guided tour
- Hiking map
What to bring?
- Warm clothes
- Good hiking shoes
- Small back pack
- Food and water for the hike
- Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have to alter the itinerary, have longer journey time or cancellation of the tour.
- Child prices apply for children 12 years and younger.